Gary Slusser

Default Culligan water softening - salt consumption

wrote in message
Thanks to all for the insights. I suspect I may be regenerating too

often.
I must say I am also disappointed with the Culligan people--I've had them
come out twice to address the concerns about excessive salt consumption

and
they haven't answered the question satisfactorily yet, only wanted to
perform fee-generating repairs.

I set the regeneration to once a week and I'll see how the salt

consumption
is affected.

Thanks again,
Ken
wrote in message
My Culligan water softener uses 240 pounds of salt every 3 months. The
softener is about 10 years old. I set the softener to regenerate 2

times
week. I've also had the softener repaired to correct random

regenerations
(valve mechanism was faulty and replaced). I am a single person and I

don't
think I use an unusually large amount of water.

Is this salt consumption normal or excessive?

Thanks much for any input and opinions.

Ken

If you were regenerating twice a week, you'll save 1/2 the salt you were
using but... you may not have soft water for the whole week or totally soft
water for most of the week. You need a water test for hardness if your water
is chlorinated and iron and manganese if you have your own well. Then you
need to find the capacity/volume of resin your softener has and then use a
formula to find out how frequently your softener should regenerate with
different salt doses. The service guy should do this for you free of any
other charges because it is basic to setting up a softener and there's
nothing else that can be done (right) until he knows those things. You
should ask for a refund of the money you've paid them for service calls if
they haven't done that. Although he may have done it and won't/didn't tell
you the figures. I notice you mention him trying to sell you some fix that
you didn't explain. If the resin is worn out it needs to be replaced. Or if
there's something wrong with the control valve it should be fixed.

Gary
Quality Water Associates
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2