Mike

Default Moenstone Sink

Ok so im off today to Lowes to look at the FHP sink. I also noticed on their
website that they use a 80% Quartz 20% Acrylic and call it a granite sink.
http://www.fhpsinks.com/P_Granite/P_Granite.html
I have seen refernce to this same Quartz makeup in several newsgroups and
elsewhere on the net. And read that the Granite sinks are a tougher material
than the quartz and less susceptable to scratching.
http://www.the-home-improvement-web....osing-sink.htm
Lowes carries the FHP sink under the Franke USA name (same as FHP).
I managed to get more info from the Franke UK site and they do in fact
manufacture both Quartz and Granite composite sinks. Their website shows a
66/33 mixture on the quartz sinks and an 80/20 on the Granite. (add confused
look here).
With mention that the quartz can be scratched by hard objects, and no
mention of it with the granite.
Quartz: http://www.frankeksd.com/cleaningins...e=18&cleanid=2

Granite: http://www.frankeksd.com/cleaningins...e=18&cleanid=3

Just talked to Lowes on the phone and they told me the Franke USA sinks they
carry are not Granite and are in fact a Quartz composite. Funny im starting
to wonder if these companies are marketing thier sinks as Granite and in
fact substituting Quartz. Dont know if the Quartz sinks are cheaper to
maufacture a or what.
Both the FHP website and Lowes website claim that the sink wont chip or
scratch. Well i guess if they will guarantee or warranty it for a few years
or longer its worth a shot.
Starting to get the paralysis of analysis sink buying syndrone here. Maybe
someone else will find this thread uselful or confusing. Will post back what
i end up with.