Posted to rec.woodworking

Default putting a header for a window

On Wed, 08 Jul 2020 12:35:37 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Tue, 07 Jul 2020 20:46:41 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

Whatever it is, so far, it hasn't interested me enough to look
into. Some people pick up software easily. not my forte.

I don't either and have to get into the head of the developer before I
can pick it up. I started with Sketchup a number of times, each time
thinking it was a CAD program. I think it was someone here who told
me to look at it from the opposite side. Draw things first, then get
the dimensions of all the parts. It's really a 3D drawing program.

So I do the drawing on paper, and port it to the program. Hmm,
maybe I can make it work.

That's nuts. Use the program for what it's designed for. 3D drawing.

The advantage to CAD is revisions. I don't have to redraw the
entire plan just to move a hole an inch.

Huh? You do know the 'C' is for "computer", right?

Says so, right on my text books.

You shouldn't have to "redraw" anything to move a hole.

If you have a paper & ink drawing, revisions required the entire
thing be redrawn and re inked. Because what is on the drawing is the
legal definition of the part. I know that Boeing issues
"notifications" which are to amend / clarify a portion of a drawing,
but at one level, that is dumb. I have waded through masses of paper
to see if there is a reason why the part I have in hand, which does
not match the drawing I'm seeing, "is in spec."

So why do you do it?

Fnord - last run of an extruded part, and the extrusion doesn't
match the drawing. Off by "that much" which is way out of tolerance.
Oy. So much for the rest of the shift.

Different issue. Sketchup would be *perfect* for designing
extrusions. Draw the cross section and pull it in the 'Z' direction.