Posted to rec.woodworking

Default putting a header for a window

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet on Wed, 8 Jul 2020 09:51:20 -0500 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
On 7/6/2020 5:58 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 05 Jul 2020 19:03:16 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Sun, 05 Jul 2020 18:46:45 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

It's a lot easier to move a mouse than to move a jointer!

Yep. Although I'm old school. Shapes (to scale) cut from graph
paper, moved around a drawing of the room/space.

Of late, I have done the "furniture/object" is N inches (round
up), and that adds up to (punch Calculator) __ leaving enough room for
that to fit there, and gappage between things because you never know.
Then draft them up on the Rotring board. Yeah, some day I will have
to learn Sketchup or equivalent. OTOH, for me, I don't need precise
drawings, just some idea of what it is I intend to do.

Sketchup is a must. It's overkill for laying out a room, though I
recently used it for laying out (really, thinking though) a beam to
put a hoist on in my shop. It's 13' between walls, which makes the
beam layout[*] a bit important (The Sagulator helped a lot too ;-)

Sketchup is a must have for woodworking, IMO.

[*] Twin double 2x8s bolted together with the hoist suspended on a
couple of pieces of 2x2x3/16" angle iron spanning the top of the
beams.

When I get to the point I need something serious detailed, then
some CAD will be in the works. As I said when I started the
retraining program: last time I was 'drafting' it was all pencil and
paper. "Computer Aided Drafting" was SCi-Fi and probably meant we'd
have robots doing the final inking.

Sketchup is not CAD. It's a modeling program. If you go into it
thinking it's CAD, you'll *never* pick it up. The process is
backwards.

The advantage to CAD is revisions. I don't have to redraw the
entire plan just to move a hole an inch.

Huh? You do know the 'C' is for "computer", right?

LOL, I learned drafting when I "was" going to be an architect, early 70's.
So assuming CAD being better than actual drawings, we used an eraser if
we needed to revise a drawing, certainly not starting the whole drawing
over.

So did I, so do I "so let it be." But maybe there was something
about erasing ink that wasn't covered in my class. I dunno.

Nothing like noticing that this work order is Rev D, the next work
order in the queue is Rev C, and the actual program in the machine is
for Rev E? "Um, Boss, is this going to be a problem?"
Or the time that I saw that this line of holes is missing one of
the location dimensions. "Anywhere on the part , just 2.375 inches
from the other one."

Or the time, first day on the job, guy I'm working with see the
part is out of straightness. Goes to get the gizmo. I'm waiting,
reading the work order. He gets back and I ask "Uh, it says here,
that after this procedure, not to do whatever it is you have in mind.
Is that going to be a problem?"

Getting cross trained CAD after being a machinist was fun. I
think.

--
pyotr filipivich