Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Reclaimed Chestnut Lumber

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 06:27:14 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

Chestnut is not indigenous here in Louisiana and only the past 10 yrs or so did I become aware of or understand the plight of the chestnut trees. With little research, I thought Chestnut lumber was very desirable and pricey. Now I suppose my thinking is not quite right, that maybe Chestnut is not so desirable.

You guys up north more in the know, is reclaimed chestnut not so desirable after all? Googling prices, I find many sources where prices range from $10-$20 bd/ft. These prices convinced me not to be so eager to bid on this latest IRS auction.

Reason I ask: The auction closed yesterday, had lots of different reclaimed lumbers listed. I watched for a week or so, wondering how things would sell. Initially I considered bidding, making a trip to NC if I had won a bid(s). I focused on the Chestnut lumber. I didn't bid, thinking the prices would skyrocket, since I assumed it was so desirable. Seems most of the Lots sold for roughly $2 bd/ft for reclaimed Chestnut. Lot 204 sold for about $2.50 bd/ft.

I'm thinking these are really cheap prices for rare(?) lumber. I suppose I'm not educated enough to have been aware, but I think I would have bid on several of the Lots if I had some sense the prices would have been this low.

What's your take on reclaimed chestnut in general and are these prices, as it sold for here, average prices?
https://www.irsauctions.com/lots/?pg=details&id=23491

Sonny

Never worked with American Chestnut.
Some info phone for prices at this exotic wood dealer
in southern Ontario :

https://www.forloversofwood.com/prod...tnut-american/

John T.