Posted to rec.woodworking

Default putting a header for a window

DerbyDad03 on Thu, 2 Jul 2020 08:45:22 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Not to mention that any plan to put a window directly behind - below the
top - of the workbench needs to include protection for the window. I have 2
work surfaces, both of which are up against the drywall. The dings and dents
smell very much like a broken window.

I should post the pictures of the one window, not by the bench.
Where the 4x4 post tipped over and broke the inner pane. "Someday" I
will get that fixed.

Oh, there's a gap between the back of the workbench and the glass? I hope
there's a "backsplash" on the workbench. Otherwise, good luck retrieving
anything that falls off the back of the workbench.

If there is a big enough gap, it will fall on the floor under the
bench. Then all I have to do is move everything "temporarily" stored
under the bench ...

The plan is top have some kind of "back splash" / grate / grill to
protect the window and to keep things on the bench. That hasn't been
a problem so far, because the bench is up against the wall, and there
are two tool cabinets and "stuff" on the bench against the wall. On
future plans is to build a new tool cabinet thing to hold "everything"
so I can find it.
Which brings me back to "fitting the windows" because I'm going to
loose that wall space behind the bench..
--
pyotr filipivich