Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Is this mask effective?

On 6/30/2020 8:21 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 28 Jun 2020 22:26:59 -0400, micky
wrote:

The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear
what she says. "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment:some purchaser had made: they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while

The answer you all gave was Yes.

using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right? It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to

I've seen the term bicycle mask before, masks with one-way valves going
out. . These must be totally unrelated to the virus, invented
earlier, for people with serious hay fever, etc , and yet because they
are "masks" sales have increased.

protect the other people.

Well thanks to all of you for the many answers.

It's been 7 days since I was there and I'm not sick yet, so it was
probably okay, but next time, instead of going at 5, I'll go at 6:15,
check if the DIY scanners are running, go nap in the car if they're not,

Maybe I'll take the store's phone number. When the store opened at 6, I
did call and he said he'd ge the machines on by :6:30 instead of 7:30,
but soon after they started opening at 5.

This means I won't be able to see my beloved cashier anymore, except at
a distance. She was amiable and liked to talk and I was convinced that
no matter how much the mask covered, she was cute underneath.

Actually, the biggest reason she and her crummy mask didn't make me sick
is mostly likey that she's not sick. That's true about everyone we
meet. But clearly, some people are sick. It's that period where people
are contagious but don't yet know they're sick that is where the biggest
danger lies. (The second biggest is the people with symptoms who go out
in public anyhow.)

I've seen several statements by experts that people tend to be most
contagious for a day or 2 BEFORE they get symptoms.