Posted to alt.home.repair
FromTheRafters FromTheRafters is offline

Default Is this mask effective?

T was thinking very hard :
T explained :
T used his or her keyboard to write :
On 2020-06-29 01:41, wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 21:25:10 -0700, Bob F
wrote:

On 6/28/2020 7:26 PM, micky wrote:
The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks
like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas
stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I
think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to
hear
what she says.* "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew
that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment:** they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust
some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right?
while
using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right?
It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to
protect the other people.

The valves make them useless for protecting others, so they offer
little
aid in reducing spreading.

Agree.
But if a bandana is considered* acceptable* " to protect others "*
these* sports masks* wouldn't be any worse.
*** John T.

You would not cluster bomb others when you coughed.
So maybe slightly better.

I very much doubt that.

Only stands to reason.* What does not get through the mask
on it own, builds up on the mask.* Then when you cough or
sneeze, you blow what you would have blown out without the
mask plus everything that has built up on the mask gets
blown all over everyone else.* So the exhaust hole does
help the build up issue

Wrong again.

Translation: you don't have an argument to present.

Already presented, and already ignored by you.

What makes you think that *everything* on there gets *everyone* else and
that not perfect means not worth even trying?

As I do believe you pointed out, maybe someone else, there
is a certain threshold necessary to infect you.

If the mask does not protect to that point, then they are useless.

Erroneous conclusion. The probability of picking up the virus particles
increases as the amount of contamination increases.

If it only took a single particle for an infective dose every time,
*then* they would be *almost* useless. They would still protect a
little but might not be worth the effort.

And when useless, the constant scratching and readjusting
puts the wearer at more risk. Transfer by hand contact
is a YUGE transmission vector. And the cluster bombing
of everyone else is not appreciated. But they do give
you a false sense of self righteousness.

The 'self righteousness' idea is just a stupid idea to shame people
into doing something stupid like not wearing masks.

And as I have pointed out before, the vast majority of
fatalities are nursing homes. You know, the places where
folks at the greatest risk live. And the place were
the Democrat Butcher of New York forced folks to
take people infected with the commie flu.

More deflection.

But since
he is a Democrat and protected by American Pravda,
you don't care. Lets all wear useless masks.

Your hatred is clouding your vision.

And as you put it, "not even worth trying?" A lot of
damned good face masks did to protect those people
that Cuomo sentenced to death.

More deflection, can't you do any better than that?

Here is an idea. If you are sick, STAY HOME!

Stay home anyway, you might not know that you are sick. Help to protect
your fellow man.

Here is another idea, PROTECT THOSE AT RISK.
DON'T PUT INFECTED PEOPLE IN NURSING HOMES.

Deflection again.