Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Is this mask effective?

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 21:25:10 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 6/28/2020 7:26 PM, micky wrote:
The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear
what she says. "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment: they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while
using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right? It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to
protect the other people.

The valves make them useless for protecting others, so they offer little
aid in reducing spreading.

Agree.
But if a bandana is considered acceptable " to protect others " ...
these sports masks wouldn't be any worse.
John T.