Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Flashing LED on old Quantum HDD PCB

On Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:26:36 AM UTC-8, Windmill wrote:

If I can't find an explanation of the flash code, I'll try the rapping
technique.

If it's not spinning, you want to rap it on a corner so that the drive is
twisted in the circumferential sense, relative to the platters.. The
most productive such rap is done a half-second after applying power
(it's useful to have a switchable power supply for this).

Once you get it up and spinning, there's a good prospect for it
to STAY spinning as long as you don't remove power, and
fair-to-middling chance of it starting again (the motor
is likely to care exactly in what pole-position phase it stops).