Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default filing flats on a socket

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 07:39:48 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

I'm guilty of the same practice. I shop at $1 Gewjaws R Us.

I was using a 1" to 3/4" square drive adapter from such a store on a
neighbor's truck lug nut and sheared it off. The guys watching were VERY
impressed that I'm that strong, not knowing the adapter was weak instead.

Who knew that melted potmetal rebar was that weak?
Congrats on the strength, too.

The same happened to me in the Army. Paint obscured the L on a truck wheel
stud and a friend and I stripped it by wrenching the wrong way. When I
admitted what I'd done without implicating the helper the mechanics'
attitude toward me jumped from dismissive to respectful, and they taught me
a lot about maintenance, such as how to replace that flat tire on a split
rim wheel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M35_se...x6_cargo_truck

Deuce and a half split rims? PASS. Those could be deadly as you
seated the bead. I know a guy who rode one and lived. And I saw a
video of one take a guy's head clean off. If they taught you split
rim stuff, I'm not so sure they were respectful. LOL

--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe