Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk[_2_] Leon Fisk[_2_] is offline

Default filing flats on a socket

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 21:27:59 +0000 (UTC)
maxq wrote:

snip
Old freewheel remover, the correct tool is NLA.

The freewheel has an internal splined face for the remover. The remover
has to slide over the axle and into the freewheel top, axle pokes out the
end of the remover.

The socket will get matching splines ground from its outer circumference
at the nut end.

A 12-point 9/16" socket is the right size, plus I can index it off a bolt
head - mount bolt in locked lathe chuck, head out with a strong spring
between the chuck face and the socket (mounted on the bolt with the nut
end outward). Dremel with 5 stacked cutoff disks on carriage, grind a
slot, pull the socket towards the face and switch points, grind the next
slot.

For those still following this... I suspect this may have been the
correct tool in 1984:
===
BR SHIMANO ''BOSS" FREEWHEEL REMOVER,

For the removal of Shimano's standard
freewheel of yester-year.

Item No: BR-CT4
19.5mm diameter

$3.70
===

From an old 1984 Third Hand Tools catalog on Archive.org he

https://archive.org/details/ThirdHan...ge/n9/mode/2up

My adapter/removal tool is for the old Shimano SIS models and is
slightly bigger, more like 22mm...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI