Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default filing flats on a socket

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message

You got one of those 12 spline 20mm antiques?? Try a 3/4" AF coupling
nut drilled out to fit over the axle if necessary - I believe the
coupler nut for 1/2" allthread is 3/4" 20mm is .787 so it is about
..030" smaller but it might kust be big enough to grab 6 of the 12
splines and get it off.

The 1/2-13 all-thread coupler nuts I bought from a US hardware store measure
11/16", unlike the 3/4" nut standard.

An aluminum blank for the tool could be pounded into the freewheel to mark
the spline groove positions and then planed in the lathe to extend them with
a cutoff bit turned horizontal. I'd rough out the grooves first with the
Dremel and a metal-cutting saw instead of an abrasive, to protect the lathe.
http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Pr...heslotter.html

The handwheel carriage feed doesn't have much power to shave steel axially
so it's best left for 0.001" finishing cuts. Aluminum is much easier.

If the aluminum tool isn't strong enough as a wrench it could be mounted on
a mandrel beside a steel blank and used as a guide to copy.