Posted to alt.home.repair
Todesco Todesco is offline

Default Help finding underground wire/box

On 6/14/2020 6:29 AM, Todesco wrote:
On 6/13/2020 7:36 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 6/13/20 6:21 PM, Todesco wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Snipped a bunch.

I opened the, now found 4" plastic box, expecting to find it full of
water.Â* Nope. Just a little condensation and some mud which leaked in
through where the UF wire goes to the lamp post and also another
outlet. Â*Â*I cleaned the area where the wires enter and sealed with a
sealant. Power to the box comes through a 2" orange plastic flexible
conduit. Wire nuts were centered in the box not touching the sides.
So, the GFCI breaker trips from something, so I plastic bagged the
outlet on the bottom of the post light.Â* The other outlet is covered
with a bucket. Now it's a waiting game to see if I get "false" trips.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Were the open ends of the wire nuts on the down side so any
condensation that might've existed could drain?
Â*Â* There are wire nuts available that contain silicone sealant or
something similar.Â*Â* Maybe using those would help.

Good point, I'll open the box and check it later today.Â* It's suppossed
to rain today, so I don't know if I will get to it.

Well it did rain, about an inch, so I didn't open the box. But, with
both outlets completely covered, no GCFI trippage. That doesn't really
mean anything because before it would trip the next day after a big
rain. More to come in this saga.