Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Warped Bamboo Cutting Board - Can It Be Flattened?

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 11:57:25 AM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Wed, 10 Jun 2020 09:51:02 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

My own suspicion is that the "top" side absorbed moisture from
what was being cut on it, or from being wiped down. Or an increase in
humidity and the damp air was not able to get to the "bottom".
Regardless one side ("the top") was able to absorb more than the other
resulting in differential expansion.

While I'm not disagreeing, it just seems strange that the 3 boards in the
set all warped at the same time. As far as SWMBO and I can recall, they were
flat one day, warped the next. The one in the image is the largest. You can
see by the amount of warp that it's not something that could have sneaked
up on us. We would have noticed it way before it got that bad.

My recommendation would be to wet the bottom, or just turn it
over. In the future, you might want to store them so that there is
even air flow on both sides, so that both sides get to absorb / dry
"evenly".

They are stored on end in this, so there is lots of air flow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCPJ0PM

Other options for fixing it might include wetting it down, and
then putting a cast iron pot on the bow to force it down. Might.

After our vacation, I'll give some things a try. I have huge poundage of steel
plates. Flattening it, even dry, won't be an issue. Maybe I'll just bolt it to
a 10 pound plate. ;-)