Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default Warped Bamboo Cutting Board - Can It Be Flattened?

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 20:13:21 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

I'd try treating it as if it's wood and see what happens...

When you wash it, wash both sides.
Then stand it on edge until it’s dry.

That process evens out the moisture on both sides and the boards stay quite
flat... any minor undulations or cupping are certainly not perceptible in
use.

I also soak the maple end grain boards I make with mineral oil occasionally.
I keep putting it on until it lays on the surface and doesn't soak in. Then
I wipe off the excess and let it dry on edge. There is usually some weeping
so I sit it on paper towels. Doing this keeps water from soaking into the
grain as deep as it would if it were untreated wood.

I've found that the best way to get mineral oil absorbed deep into the
wood grain is to heat the wood up with a paint stripping gun (used
gently - don't scortch) coat it with oil, and allow to cool. The heat
drives much moisture and air out, and as it cools the oil is drawn
into the grain.

I've done this in situ with a maple butcheblock kitchen counter.

Joe Gwinn