Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why are stairlifts so slow?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0lyl5r11wdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 09 Jun 2020 18:28:58 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote

Oh my god, my neighbour has a landline phone with
three handsets which connect by radio. The problem
with technology is the ****wits that design it. These
things have FOUR volume controls. He came round
asking if I could sort one of them that was way too
quiet to hear the other person speaking. I found an
amplify button on the side, a volume control on the
front which controls ringer volume or speech volume
depending if your on a call, those two repeated again
in a menu, and another hidden one I found by mistake
(after going to the trouble of taking it apart to check for
loose solder connections to the speaker) - apparently
pressing the green "pick up" button again makes it louder.
Why have 4 controls to do the same ****ing thing?!

Because in many situations you want go control the
ringer volume and the speech volume separately

Fair enough, but why the other two? I said four. There's "amplify",
"ringer volume", "speech volume", and an unlabelled one on the "pick up"
button.

Read the ****ing manual, stupid. Bet the first one
is for the volume when playing music, podcasts
and video. The next two are obvious.

and it makes sense to be able to change the volume
with a button while talking and also be able to do
it by menu when you are configuring other stuff
by menu that doesn't have a separate button for
it because there is only room for so many buttons,
when setting up the phone initially.