Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Why are stairlifts so slow?

On Tue, 09 Jun 2020 18:28:58 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote

Oh my god, my neighbour has a landline phone with
three handsets which connect by radio. The problem
with technology is the ****wits that design it. These
things have FOUR volume controls. He came round
asking if I could sort one of them that was way too
quiet to hear the other person speaking. I found an
amplify button on the side, a volume control on the
front which controls ringer volume or speech volume
depending if your on a call, those two repeated again
in a menu, and another hidden one I found by mistake
(after going to the trouble of taking it apart to check for
loose solder connections to the speaker) - apparently
pressing the green "pick up" button again makes it louder.
Why have 4 controls to do the same ****ing thing?!

Because in many situations you want go control the
ringer volume and the speech volume separately

Fair enough, but why the other two? I said four. There's "amplify", "ringer volume", "speech volume", and an unlabelled one on the "pick up" button.

and it makes sense to be able to change the volume
with a button while talking and also be able to do
it by menu when you are configuring other stuff
by menu that doesn't have a separate button for
it because there is only room for so many buttons,
when setting up the phone initially.