Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why are stairlifts so slow?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0lybpxhrwdg98l@glass...
On Mon, 08 Jun 2020 22:40:06 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0lwvnbf1wdg98l@glass...
On Mon, 08 Jun 2020 21:47:14 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0lwrwtpywdg98l@glass...
On Mon, 08 Jun 2020 20:15:19 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0lwbk2dvwdg98l@glass...
On Thu, 21 May 2020 18:45:28 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"slate_leeper" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 May 2020 07:43:22 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Actually this question has come up before. The reason I was given
many
years
ago now, was inertia. IE if it went up fast, it would jolt at the
start
and
end of the run. And if you made it slow down and speed up, then
it
would
probably still take a long time as the distance travelled in the
main
is a
short one, and people are heavy loads to move.
I guess one could make a three point seat belt system but by the
time
you
have done it up and undone it, you might as well have been going
slower
anyway!
On the other hand, a commode mounted on a Chairlift might be a
good
product
to make. grin.
Brian

I imagine economics comes into play also. I small motor geared
down
is
cheaper than a larger, more powerful motor.

And are almost certainly designed by those who don't have
an incontinence problem and who don't realise the problem
that slow stair lifts can be for those who are incontinent.

Or maybe they realise that anyone with an incontence
problem would have something to **** in which isnt upstairs.

It's not just toilets. Imagine you're an infirm person upstairs.
The
doorbell rings. You take quite a few minutes to get there, by which
time
they've left. Now you've missed your parcel and are expected to go
collect it from the post office.

Anyone with even half a clue in that situation would have a
smart doorbell which allows you to talk to the person who
has pressed the doorbell or knocked on the door using
your phone. And that works when you are in the garden
etc too and when you arent even home and need to tell\
them where to leave it so it doesn't get stolen etc.

There are plenty old folk who don't even have a mobile phone,

No reason why they cant get one when they need to do something
like that when they are no longer as mobile as they used to be.

Not everyone loves technology like you.

But those with a clue who find that the stairlift is too slow
when they are upstairs and someone rings the doorbell
may well find it useful when someone suggests it.

They shouldn't have to if the stairlift worked correctly.

Its always going to be much more convenient to pick
up the phone and talk to the person who has knocked
on the door or see who it is and decide if its worth
talking to them than to use even the fastest stair lift.

And that works just as well when you are in the garden or
away shopping and no stairlift will help with either of those.

Old folk do not like messing around with technology.

That's bull****. ALL of the ones I know except one have
a mobile phone now and the one that doesn't's wife
has both a mobile phone and a computer as well.

When they get old they can't be bothered with all that ****.

That's bull****. When my dad's second wife ended up with
severe emphysema, he got one of the first big multi box
mobile phones in the car so she could call him if she had
a problem when he was out and about in the car.

Then after she had died, and he had moved into a big
retirement village, he got a small modern mobile phone
so he could call someone if he had a fall when out walking.

And that village had a full licensed on site restaurant which
had specials for the residents that they delivered in golf carts.
When I showed up after he had stormed out of the hospital
after a fall, there was a massive stack of the orders he had
done most weeks for those specials. He filled out the order
on his mac, printed it out and faxed it to the restaurant.
That was when he was in his 80s

There are exceptions.

And the exception is the ONE old person I know who DOESN'T
have a mobile phone. His wife does tho, and a computer.

But I know plenty of old folk who use nothing more complicated than a TV
and a landline phone.

Both are still technology, stupid. And so is the stairlift.

let alone a smartphone, or know how to do fancy **** like that.

Trivial to learn how to with the best designs. It
rings like a phone call with a different ring tone.

And then you have to have it with you.

Just a lot closer than downstairs, stupid.

Please reword in correct order.

That is the correct order.

My next door neighbour doesn't even have an internet connection!

Don't need one for that.

Not my point. I was stating that they don't want modern technology.

Plenty of them do. My back neighbour who I used to provide
free internet for has just added her own broadband and she
is in her 70s, So have all the older garage salers.

And she has had a mobile phone for many
years, and a decent smartphone too and
its not the first one she has had either.

And a satellite TV service too.

They can't even tune their TV FFS.

Sure, buy that's a different issue to having a mobile or internet,

Same problem, not understanding technology.

That's different, they don't need to do that often
enough to remember how to do it and its easier
to ask me or you to do it for them.

The best of them like the arlos even work out if its a
delivery monkey or just a jovey and ignores the joveys.

Then you don't have the fun of telling them to **** off.

You are free to do that without having to fart around with the stairlift.

More fun face to face while wielding a crowbar.

Hardly any of them are psychopaths like you.