Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Why are stairlifts so slow?

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Actually this question has come up before. The reason I was given many years
ago now, was inertia. IE if it went up fast, it would jolt at the start and
end of the run. And if you made it slow down and speed up, then it would
probably still take a long time as the distance travelled in the main is a
short one, and people are heavy loads to move.
I guess one could make a three point seat belt system but by the time you
have done it up and undone it, you might as well have been going slower
anyway!
On the other hand, a commode mounted on a Chairlift might be a good product
to make. grin.
Brian

More likely due to the equation : power x time = energy

Rearranging: Power = energy / time

The energy required is, more or less, constant regardless of how long it
takes. Do it slowly, and you need less power. Do it quickly and you need
more power.

Small motors are cheaper, lighter etc.

--
https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact...an-trafficking