Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why are stairlifts so slow?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0lwxoddqwdg98l@glass...
On Mon, 08 Jun 2020 22:08:45 +0100, Mark Lloyd wrote:

The other two things that annoy me are "next wednesday" and 6/8/2020.
Both can apparently be ambiguous, but I always use the logical one.

I almost always use "next Wednesday" fro the next day (after today)

Then you're just plain wrong.

Nope.

Days are gathered together in weeks.

Irrelevant which is the next wednesday.

Next Wednesday is the one in the next week.

Never heard anyone use it like that.

To explain, consider today to be Monday. When is "this Wednesday"?

The day after tomorrow. But its also next wednesday.

Everybody would agree that it's in two days time.

How can next Wednesday be the same as this Wednesday?

Like a synonym. stupid.

that's a Wednesday, but have heard it for the Wednesday after that so if
it's important I would try to add additional information like: next
Wednesday (the 10th).

I say it my way because I'm right

Nope, wrong, as always.

and if they turn up 1 week late or early, not my problem.

Typical psychopath.

"6/8/2020" is less ambiguous that "6/8/20" (where 20 could be a day).

Agreed. There are two sensible ways to write dates - British and
Japanese.

There are in fact a lot more than two. What matters is what isnt ambiguous.

Brits go from small to large (date, month, year), Japs go from large to
small (year, month, date) - which is better for computer programs.

Never seen anyone but a jap do it that way.

The Merkin way is implausibly stupid, you go from the medium sized
measurement, to the smallest, then to the largest.

Because that's the way plenty say dates.

I try to use the month abbreviation (Jun) and all 4 digits for the year.
Either "Jun 6 2020" or "6 Jun 2020" could be read unambiguously. The
little-endian form (6 Jun 2020) seems a little more readable since
there's better separation between the numerals.