Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Why are stairlifts so slow?

On Thu, 21 May 2020 18:45:28 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"slate_leeper" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 May 2020 07:43:22 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Actually this question has come up before. The reason I was given many
years
ago now, was inertia. IE if it went up fast, it would jolt at the start
and
end of the run. And if you made it slow down and speed up, then it would
probably still take a long time as the distance travelled in the main is a
short one, and people are heavy loads to move.
I guess one could make a three point seat belt system but by the time you
have done it up and undone it, you might as well have been going slower
anyway!
On the other hand, a commode mounted on a Chairlift might be a good
product
to make. grin.
Brian

I imagine economics comes into play also. I small motor geared down is
cheaper than a larger, more powerful motor.

And are almost certainly designed by those who don't have
an incontinence problem and who don't realise the problem
that slow stair lifts can be for those who are incontinent.

Or maybe they realise that anyone with an incontence
problem would have something to **** in which isnt upstairs.

It's not just toilets. Imagine you're an infirm person upstairs. The doorbell rings. You take quite a few minutes to get there, by which time they've left. Now you've missed your parcel and are expected to go collect it from the post office.