Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andrew[_29_] Andrew[_29_] is offline

Default Panasonic microwave, blown inverter board transformer

Hi, I have an NN-A554W and the transformer on the inverter board has
blown. Microwave wouldn't start cooking so I ran it for a moment with
the cover off, transformer did a light and smoke display and now it
smells like fireworks.

I made sure the magnetron was discharged and between the two connections
I am getting 0 ohms, but I only have a basic multimeter. Between those
and the casing is open.

This microwave is at least 10 years old with a lot of use, so how likely
is it that the transformer has just gone by itself vs the magnetron or
the small mains input board dying and taking the transformer with it?

The other thing is that the part number of the inverter/transformer
board is A6645M304GP, and the magnetron is a 2M236-M42. A lot of other
models seem to use boards that look identical, but not exactly the same
part number. For example I have found a site saying that this magnetron
can be used with an A66454T05AP or F66454T07AP board, which do look the
same as mine, so are they just a different revision or something or are
the differences going to be bigger?

Even if I need exactly the same board, it looks like I could be chasing
a part that would work in many different models, even different brands,
if only I knew which one to look for (it seems there are no parts for my
model).

Am worried about replacing it and having the new one get instantly blown
up though.

Andrew