Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Help finding underground wire/box

On Saturday, June 6, 2020 at 1:00:31 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 08:10:30 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, June 5, 2020 at 2:15:56 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jun 2020 02:05:33 -0400, micky
wrote:

The 811 people only go from the power pole to your power meter. Once
the wiring is owned by the homeowner or business, the 811 service stops.

I generally disapprove of bribery but I called Miss Utility when I
wasn't ready to dig on the theory that they roam around the area and
they can stop buy and it will take one guy what, 10 minutes to do it.

So in this case, if you're already entitled to call 811 to plan for
future digging and if there's a good chance 811 will find it if he
looks, you could make sure you're there and pay him extra to look for
you. After you're desperate.

Since these locate people are usually contractors working for the
municipality or the utilities, you paying them to do things outside
the scope of their contract isn't a bribe. It is simply paying a
contractor for extra work. Perhaps the proper way is to call the
company directly, not 811 (or whatever the number is where you are)
and dealing with their management/sales people. That is completely
above board.

If this box is located near where utilities run, you could call the location
services people and tell them you're putting in sprinklers or similar
work and they will likely wind up marking it out anyway, no? IDK
exactly what tools they use, but wouldn't they also see and mark any
premise lines that show up?

I have had the locate people out here a few times and they only marked
things in the right of way. They didn't mark my buried phone line to
the house. It did get hit.

Here they mark right up to the house for all utilities. But IDK if there
was buried property wiring if they would register it or mark it. I would
tend to think they might, just because how would they know for sure what
is there's and what is not? This must be a common issue that contractors
would know about. It's not just service from the street, but any other
buried wiring, gas, water, etc that could be where they are going to do
work.