View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster

Default Followup: Choosing a set of drill bits

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 10:59:51 AM UTC-5, rangerssuck wrote:
First: Big shout out to my Drill Doctor. I had to drill three #19 holes in cast iron yesterday and all I had was my set of HF TiN drills. Had to sharpen the bit for each hole, but I did get through the job OK. Drill Doctor made quick work of it.

Second: Enough is enough already. I have had enough screwing around with garbage bits. I'm looking to buy my last set of drill bits. Generally the 115 piece sets (1/16 - 1/2, A-Z, 1-60) fit my needs. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I don't want to cheap out, either. So, I'm looking for suggestions. If you were looking for a complete set of drills, what would you buy?

I had a job that involved drilling through stainless electrical control panels last month. Having been ****ed off too many times by my crappy drills, I decided to take a look at some cobalt drills. After doing my research, I decided to take a shot on the Harbor Freight cobalt drills.

Holy crap, these are the real deal. A night & day difference from the "HSS" drills they sell. Rather than looking like a boy scout trying to start a fire, these things just make holes. really easy to drill a half-inch hole (in three steps) with a 20V Porter Cable.

I bought the less-expensive fractional set and a set of cobalt step drills (which also fly through stainless). I will be watching the sales and jumping on a 115 piece set soon. Just today, I had an HF HSS #21 drill bend(!) while drilling on a drill press in 1/8" aluminum. Not doing this again.

Just thought this might be handy information for someone.