Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bandsaw blade guides

"James Waldby" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 23 May 2020 09:31:05 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...

[...]
I was using guides with skate bearings as rollers on one side and fixed
rubbing blocks on the other, and a backing bearing. They worked well with
sharp blade but deflection started to be a problem once the blade dulled
half the amount I can tolerate, based on lowered cutting speed. So I cut
wide planks with sharpened blades and then edged them or slabbed logs as
the
blade dulled. [...]

With a reasonably fast micro, eg Raspberry Pi4, and an ok camera attached
to it, plus a bunch of controlled motors and attached mechanisms, it's
feasible nowadays to make an active sharpener, to touch up the teeth while
the bandsaw is running. Feasible means possible to do; it doesn't mean
easy. It would be a project that could last a few years longer than
the several days of work your larger-bearings approach will take, and
could cost a couple of magnitudes more dollars, depending on how many
sawmills got wrecked during development.
--
jiw
The blade runs at 45-50MPH and I don't know nearly enough about servo loop

The blades can be sharpened with grinding wheels contoured to the gullet
geometry:
https://woodmizer.com/Store/Product/Index?id=3648