Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Garden pump

On 22/05/2020 20:03, Chris Green wrote:
James wrote:
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn. I'd be interested to hear
recommendations on brand and any other advice.

Good luck! :-)

'Pond pumps' seem to have random reliability in my experience, price
is no guide. If a submersible pump would do what you need then I'd
personally go for the cheapest you can see on eBay or similar. As
regards mains or 12v then I'd personally go for 12v but it all depends
on how easily you can provide power of either voltage.

How much water do you actually want?

If you want a non-submersible pump then I don't really have any
experience.

I use a 12V pump non-submersible purchased cheaply from Ebay to pump
de-onised water up a 18 foot window washing pole for washing upstairs
windows. The only slight problem is priming it in the first place. It's
meant to be self priming but it will not prime properly if the pole and
connecting hose is connected. I first have to remove the output hose and
pole and then water pumps freely. I can then switch off the pump,
connect the hose/pole and turn the pump on again where it now works
without problems.

I paid £16 for the pump (100psi 6Litres/minute) and £14 for a mains to
12V supply
Water and mains electricity don't mix so a waterproof enclosure is
required for the power supply