Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Why are stairlifts so slow?

In article , says...

I never did understand why people would build a house with all the
bedrooms upstairs. Fine maybe for the younger, but not the older.

Er, in UK English the 'first floor' *is* upstairs! :-)

Most houses have a 'ground floor' and a 'first floor' in the UK. Yes,
I know it's not very logical but that's the way it is.

The labeling on many things ,especially in different countries can be
confusing.

My house would probably confuse some. It has a walkout basement (even
with the ground on one side with a door but the other wall is
underground, then the floor that we call the 1st floor, then the 2nd
floor. So depending on where you go in the house may determine what you
call the floors.

In the US I have seen elevators in buildings labeled G,1,2 for the
Ground (where you normally go into the building) and some just 1,2,3.
Then there is the floor called Lobby. Also the normal floor to go in
and out of the building. Seems to me that for the blind there is a big
star raised next to the normal into and out of the building floor along
with the dots for the floors.

The large plant I worked in was built and added on to over about 40
years.
Some parts the floors were very tall and the height of 2 normal floors.
So you are walking down the floor and it is the 2nd floor. You pass
through an opening about 15 feet wide and it becomes the 3 rd floor.
Then go to the other side of the building and the floors are 1,
mezzanine, 2,3. So going down a hallway about 200 feet long you start
on the 2nd floor, go through an opening in the wall and you are on the
Mezz floor, and then through another opening and you are on the 3 rd
floor.