Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Amazing hollow casting

Hi folks,

Quick question of curiosity here. I bought an old East German scroll saw recently and it has a huge cast iron bow. The reach is about 24 inches. The bow is a one-piece casting, integral with the base, and it's hollow right the way along (there's an air hose inside which blows away the sawdust). Here's a pictu

http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...ll_Saw_DDR.JPG

Can someone tell me how it's possible to cast this iron bow in the foundry? I can't figure how you can reliably and accurately support a sand core inside the mould, and it's making me really curious.

By the way, if anyone recognises the brand of the saw, I'd be interested to hear. There isn't a maker's name on the machine.

Best wishes,

Chris