Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SNAG SNAG is offline

Default Case hardening question

On 5/13/2020 2:04 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2020 11:18:55 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Tue, 12 May 2020 22:22:59 -0500, Snag wrote:

I'm working on a Savage .17 HMR for a neighbor , and he's lost a part
. The spring clip that retains the firing pin , extractor , and
"cartridge guide" has broken and the guide piece is lost - and I haven't
been able to source one to replace it . The spring is on order from
Numrich as soon as they can get their doors back open it should be on
the way . The guide is basically a mirror image of the extractor , and I
have one 90% complete , but I'm wondering if I need to case harden it .
I have the stuff , but have one question about post-hardening heat
treatment . Where this is a thin layer of hard over a soft core , I'm
wondering if I just need to heat , dip in the Kasenite , reheat to red
heat and quench , or do I need to temper it after hardening . Or even if
I need to harden it at all , It's not under a lot of stress , and the
only metal to metal contact will be with brass cases . This is a very
small part , about .060" thick by .140" wide and about an inch long .

You probably did, but did you check with Brownells? They have some
Savage parts.

I'f think case hardening would extend it's life. The soft core would
give it strength. Generally case harfened parts are used "as is" or
"as treated".

That's what I thought , but it never hurts to check with folks that
heave more experience with this sort of thing .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old