Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SNAG SNAG is offline

Default Case hardening question

I'm working on a Savage .17 HMR for a neighbor , and he's lost a part
.. The spring clip that retains the firing pin , extractor , and
"cartridge guide" has broken and the guide piece is lost - and I haven't
been able to source one to replace it . The spring is on order from
Numrich as soon as they can get their doors back open it should be on
the way . The guide is basically a mirror image of the extractor , and I
have one 90% complete , but I'm wondering if I need to case harden it .
I have the stuff , but have one question about post-hardening heat
treatment . Where this is a thin layer of hard over a soft core , I'm
wondering if I just need to heat , dip in the Kasenite , reheat to red
heat and quench , or do I need to temper it after hardening . Or even if
I need to harden it at all , It's not under a lot of stress , and the
only metal to metal contact will be with brass cases . This is a very
small part , about .060" thick by .140" wide and about an inch long .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old