Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default OT--Actual elecytronics repair question

In article ,
John Robertson wrote:
Yes, that's the way it works. Every time you clean them, you remove
some more of the conductive coating.

They sell small conductive rubber pads intended to be glued onto the
existing pads. I have never tried them, though. Using metal might be
hard on the contacts.

Do "they" even sell "conductive paint" to repair rear window defoggers
anymore? They came viz a little finger nail polish bottle and brush.
I came across an old, dried up bottle of the stuff in the back of one
of my junque drawers recently...

Jonesy

As far as I know the product for repairing window heater strips is still
available.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/autom...ndow-defogger/

However I do recall there was an MG Chemicals product for restoring
conductive pads:

https://www.mgchemicals.com/products...conductive-pen

or

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-.../dp/B0081SGM8M

Which is not listed at MG Chemicals, perhaps obsolete?

I've had some luck restoring conductive-rubber pads using a conductive
dry lubricant called NeoLube No. 2. It's a graphite suspension in
isopropyl alcohol, with a small amount of a binder. Clean the back of
the rubber pad (possibly even roughen it a bit with very fine
sandpaper), then paint it on and let it dry.

It's available from Micro-Mark and other online vendors.