Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rob[_40_] Rob[_40_] is offline

Default scandisk fail

John Robertson wrote:
On 2020/04/14 7:46 a.m., Tim R wrote:
I haven't had to deal with an SSD but I did have a similar failure on my daughter's laptop.

You have two problems: the operating system isn't there so the computer won't run, and you can't get to the data on the SSD.

In my case putting the hard drive in an enclosure let me recover the data to another PC. The sectors with the operating system were trashed but I got her data back. I bought a new hard drive, with some effort we got an operating system loaded, and I transferred her data back.

In your case buying a new SSD is easy. I doubt you will recover any data given your symptoms. So you still need to deal with the operating system replacement. With Win 10 I don't know how hard that is - with my old system I couldn't get a replacement OS from the manufacture because the retailer had loaded the systems. I had a friend with an XP image that worked, and eventually I converted to Linux.

The lesson here is when you buy a laptop make a recovery disk, USB, or whatever it reads BEFORE you start using it. Eventually they all die.

Has the OP contacted HP? Their service should cover this kind of failure...

John :-#)#

Probably limited to replacing the SSD module, when you are lucky filling
it with a factory-standard Windows image. And returning it, mentioning
"now please restore your backup".
Often not really what customers are hoping for.