Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Epoxy / adhesive for hard plastic (headphone hinge) ?

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 21:07:38 -0700, Mike S wrote:

Loctite Super Glue Plastics Bonding System with Activator 2-Gram (681925)

Bonds plastics such as Plexiglas, polycarbonate, polystyrene, PVC,
polyethylene, polypropylene and polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)/Teflon.
Plus rubber, leather, cork, paper, cardboard, wood, chipboard, fabric,
metal and ceramic.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Plast.../dp/B000Y3LHXW

That's what I use for gluing problem plastics. Seems to work with all
the hard plastics and some soft (flexible) plastics. It's a
cyanoacrylate adhesive, with some hexane added to soften the plastic.
Note that it's not very good at filling gap. With flexible plastics,
it does well if the glue joint is very thin and therefore flexible.
With a thicker glue line, it will crack and eventually crumble.

Another glue that I've found that works well with hard plastics is
Zap-It. It's also a cyanoacrylate adhesive with some manner of
solvent to soften the plastic. What I like most about it is that if I
use the UV light to cure the joint, I don't need to wait until it
hardens. I'll know if I have a decent joint in seconds.
https://supergluecorp.com/product/zap-it/
One catch is that it works best on transparent plastics, where the UV
light can penetrate. However, if the plastic is opaque, just slop on
some glue which leaks outside of the joint, harden what's visible with
the UV light, and let it sit for about an hour. Even without the UV
light, the cyanoacrylate adhesive will harden in less than an hour.

"ZAP ITŪ Glue"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg1zRNQISyU

No clue on the other stuff you mentioned as I haven't tried those.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D