Posted to rec.woodworking
Hawk Hawk is offline

Default Lathe tread

On 3/27/2020 5:14 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 9:14:35 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:
On 3/26/2020 9:51 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

Hawk writes:
Are the spindle threads the same on all lathes or do they differ by brand?

Sometimes they even differ between models of the same brand.

I just discovered there are a few different sizes.

There are three main lathe threads used currently. Woodturning lathes.

1" x 8 TPI (one inch diameter and 8 threads per inch)
1.25" x 8 TPI (one and a quarter diameter and 8 threads per inch)
M33 x 3.5 (metric, 33mm diameter, 3.5 threads per cm)

3/4" x 16 TPI and 1.5" x 6 TPI are also seen somewhat commonly.

1x8 is on current mini lathes and other smaller, medium sized lathes. 1.25 and M33 is on big huge full sized and some medium lathes. Not sure what the smaller metric, European lathes use? Doubt they use the big M33. And smaller 1x8 is Imperial threading, not metric. In the long ago past, or just a couple decades ago, there were many, many different threads used on lathes. So if you have a 1950s lathe for instance, you will have to measure the spindle threads and figure out what threading it has. And look for a spindle adaptor to fit. Chucks for lathes usually have separate spindle adaptors so you can put a new adaptor into the chuck and use it on different lathes. No need to buy a new chuck when you change lathes with different spindle threading.

Thank you.

I'm making a disk sander for my lathe and was contemplating purchasing a
face plate or a spindle tap to make a face plate. I decided on a spindle
tap and make several disks for varying grits. Then I can just change the
disk instead of the paper.