Tom Baker

Default Waterproofing for concrete blocks?

"Suzu" wrote in message ...
I live in Tornado Central in a mobile home and it scares me half to death
when we have tornados in the area, so I'm thinking of building a shelter. I
only have flat land to build on, therefore the structure will only be partly
underground, and the remainder bermed with the excavated earth.

My plan is to use concrete blocks with mortar and rebar in the center and
Q-bond on both sides, but I am not sure if Q-bond waterproofs the blocks.
Has anyone used this stuff before? If you have to use a separate
waterproofing agent, do you apply it over or under the Q-bond?

Looked at Q Bond PDF.
It appears to be similar to "surface bonding" material I used on
Jacksonville FL fire station in the '80s.
I had a chance to see it abut 10 years later and it was in good shape.
I don't remember using any finish on it.
Parging foundations is an old means of dampproofing.
If the soil is reasonably well drained and the water table is not near
the floor level,
I should think you will be o.k.
Joints are always a problem with water infiltration, so detail them
carefully.

Tom Baker