DanG

Default Waterproofing for concrete blocks?

To be safer, I would recommend a cast-in-place concrete shelter.
If you want to work with the block, I would rebar every cell and
slush solid. I would not depend on the Q-bond to provide the
total structural integrity. Q-bond (I'm not sure if it is one of
the cementitious or fiberglass products) is meant to take the
place of setting the blocks in mortar. It makes it more DIY
friendly. I would not depend on it for waterproof. Below grade,
you should have gravel drainage to either a sump or day light,
waterproofing membrane to keep the water out of the hidey hole.
Above grade, paint should provide the water proofness that you
require.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Suzu" wrote in message
I live in Tornado Central in a mobile home and it scares me half

to death
when we have tornados in the area, so I'm thinking of building a

shelter. I
only have flat land to build on, therefore the structure will

only be partly
underground, and the remainder bermed with the excavated earth.

My plan is to use concrete blocks with mortar and rebar in the

center and
Q-bond on both sides, but I am not sure if Q-bond waterproofs

the blocks.
Has anyone used this stuff before? If you have to use a separate
waterproofing agent, do you apply it over or under the Q-bond?