Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Palet wood, comes in three sorts

Again I realized that pallets come in three kinds of wood.
- Hard wood
- Soft wood
- Fire wood.

Back in the late 1980s, early 1990s, when I worked in a warehouse and dealt with pallets, I usually saw only rough pine pallets. Its possible there might have been some other woods in there. But I was far less knowledgeable about wood back then

Standard shaped pallets are about 4 foot by 6 foot. Three 2x4s in the middle with cutouts at either end of the 2x4 so forklifts can pick them up from the side. Bottom slats are about 3 of them. Top slats are the whole 6 foot length with a half inch gap between slats. All of these slats are roughly 1x4s. Rough. So you'd be lucky to plane and joint them down to 1/2" thick finished. And the 2x4 middle pieces, by the time you trimmed off the cutouts on the bottom, you'd end up with only a 2x2 6 foot long.

So, unless you need rough wood, and mostly small pieces, pallets really don't provide good wood to use. Especially not furniture.