Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Palet wood, comes in three sorts

On 3/10/2020 4:14 AM, John McGaw wrote:
On 3/10/2020 2:13 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Â*Â*Â*Â*I've been taking advantage of the Wuhan Virus shutdown, by
cleaning up the yard and stuff, today was break down the pile of
pallets.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Again I realized that pallets come in three kinds of wood.
Â*Â*Â*Â*-Â* Hard wood
Â*Â*Â*Â*- Soft wood
Â*Â*Â*Â*- Fire wood.

Now to see what I'm going to do with all this.

When I was in the USAF in Alaska my unit received a shipment of
electronic equipment that had been pulled from a decommissioned
operation in Thailand (Vietnam war period). All of it was packed on
several oversized beefy pallets. One of the crew unpacking things took
notice that the skids supporting the pallets were made of teak --
probably over 4-inches square and six feet long. Those disappeared
almost instantly.

A friend of mine worked for a while in the yard at a hardware store.
One of his duties was unloading trucks and breaking down pallets of
merchandise. He noted that pallets came in made of a variety of
different woods. Your typical rough cut soft woods, but he puled out
lots of pretty decent hardwoods and set them aside. He had grown up
working with his dad who was a fine furniture restorer.