Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default How to replace bad CPU on circuit board?

On 2020/03/04 5:52 p.m., wrote:
I suggest investigating ChipQuik. Do a Google search, and look at the videos. It looks like you can get it from Digikey, Mouser, etc.

Disclaimer: I have not used it myself, but was amazed when I saw it demonstrated.

ChipQuik works as advertised, however I think you might further ahead by
investing in a hot air or Infra-Red/Hot Lamp service system. These start
fairly cheaply and, depending on what you board looks like, can be
pretty easy to run.

If only a few boards, then ChipQuik is probably best, otherwise hot air
or IR is the way to go for chip replacement.

The question is - how many boards are we talking about and what is the
replacement cost? A good hot air system will cost a few hundred dollars
but can simplify the chip replacement process considerably.

I'd start by watching some youtube demonstrations of "hot air chip
replacement" to get an idea of how it is done.

John :-#)#