Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Getting air out of a mercury barometer?

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Hi folks,

Does anyone here have experience of getting the air out of a mercury
barometer column? My barometer looks like this:

http://www.messcom.de/MESSCOM/MDO/pd...0Bedienanl.pdf

I had wondered about putting the whole barometer in a vacuum
chamber, but I'm not sure if this will work. Unfortunately there's
nowhere to connect a vacuum pump at the top of the column.

Is there anyone with experience here who can give me some tips? So
far, I've been trying to avoid taking the barometer apart in case I
lose the precious (and slightly dangerous) mercury.

The amount of air inside is enough to change the reading by 10 to 20
mm.

Best wishes,

Chris

My German isn't quite good enough to fully translate section 5,
Wartung.