Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_7_] John B.[_7_] is offline

Default Bending annealed HSS?

On Sun, 1 Mar 2020 11:25:34 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Hi folks,

I've been experimenting with heat treatment and have tried bending annealed HSS, partly out of curiousity.

I've tried annealing and bending blunt drills and hacksaw blades, but with little success. They seem brittle even after bringing them up to an orange-red heat and letting them cool in the air.

Should it be possible to bend annealed HSS? Do I need to bring them up to a higher temperature, cook them for longer or bury them in sand for really slow cooling?

Thanks,

Chris

Read:
https://www.hudsontoolsteel.com/technical-data/steelA2