Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Refrigerator current load

On 2020/02/28 5:20 p.m., Michael Terrell wrote:
On Friday, 28 February 2020 15:36:50 UTC, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 7:26:13 AM UTC-5, tabby wrote:

why would a fridge [need to be] be on its own dedicated outlet? Such a thing is unheard of here.

It is done to prevent another device from tripping the breaker, and letting food spoil. I suppose Botulism is unheard there, as well?

If we get a breaker trip, which doesn't happen often, people switch it back on, and if necessary plug the fridge freezer in somewhere else. It doesn't seem to be a significant issue. If you only had the fridge on the circuit it would take far longer to realize power was lost.

If it trips with only the fridge or freezer on the circuit, resetting the breaker wouldn't do any good, if a few hundred Watt load is tripping a 20A breaker.

Indeed, if the fridge trips the breaker then it is broken...shorted
motor or similar. Not going to work any better on another outlet!
Whereas sometimes you can pop a breaker and not realize it.

One can always get a battery powered fridge alarm - I have it on our
deep freeze, but my wife doesn't want it on the house fridge as she
doesn't like the look of it...

John :-#)#