Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ehsjr[_5_] ehsjr[_5_] is offline

Default Refrigerator current load

On 2/27/2020 12:33 PM, wrote:
But it is not my fault that it is not a dedicated circuit. Nor am I
required to know whether or not it is. The owner is liable not me.

Wrong. Two reasons:

a) Ignorance is not a defense - that is, and has been, "common law" for over 2,000 years. And, yes, "common law" does apply to liability.

b) NEC requires a dedicated outlet for the refrigerator. Ipso-facto, where the refrigerator is plugged in is dedicated. And that receptacle may not be shared per the code. The reasoning may appear circular, but it remains how it would be in a pinch.

When I was doing this for a living (more than 40 years ago) we used simplex receptacles for the refrigerator line. So that down-line idiots did not make that same mistake you might make. That and any other 'dedicated' circuits, with special reference to AC, 240 V Dryer and similar circuits.

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/53CX77_GC01?$mdmain$

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Neither the logic nor the NEC apply to him plugging
a toaster into a receptacle, dedicated or not.

There is NO requirement per the NEC that the receptacle
for the 'fridge be dedicated.
(quoting the NEC)
210.52(B)(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry,
breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit,
the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required
by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets
covered by 210.52(A), all countertop outlets covered by 210.52(C),
and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.

The current NEC requires that the (two or more) small appliance
circuits and receptacle be in the kitchen, wired properly etc.
It does NOT govern what the user plugs into them. Nor does it say
a circuit must be dedicated to the refrigerator.

As to the law - what law specifies that a user not
plug a toaster into a receptacle?

Ed