Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tom Del Rosso[_6_] Tom Del Rosso[_6_] is offline

Default Refrigerator current load

wrote:
But it is not my fault that it is not a dedicated circuit. Nor am I
required to know whether or not it is. The owner is liable not me.

Wrong. Two reasons:

a) Ignorance is not a defense - that is, and has been, "common law"
for over 2,000 years. And, yes, "common law" does apply to liability.

That's ignorance of the law, not ignorance of what an electrician did
under someone else's supervision.

b) NEC requires a dedicated outlet for the refrigerator. Ipso-facto,
where the refrigerator is plugged in is dedicated. And that
receptacle may not be shared per the code. The reasoning may appear
circular, but it remains how it would be in a pinch.

So you are under the impression that I have something plugged into the
same outlet. I didn't say that. I said it was on the same breaker as
other outlets. There is no way in hell I would be blamed for using
another outlet.