Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Table Leg Repair part Deux

On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 9:55:38 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:
On 2/26/2020 6:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 6:02:08 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:
I had a chance to look at the table leg and it was a clean break. I slid
the leg back into the base, fit right in and it looked great. It even
held in place. Therefore, my question is what anyone thinks of simply
gluing or epoxying the leg without trying to cut off the base or adding
a rod/dowel in the center? Do you think it'll be just as strong? If so,
what epoxy/glue do you recommend?

Thanks

What is "clean break"?

My definition of a clean break is one that didn't break in several
pieces which would require gluing those pieces back in or filling in
opening left from the break. It's not smooth by far but if you were a
tiny insect or from Honey I shrunk myself, it would be a wooden
mountainous region.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Is it a perfectly flat, glue ready break?

That would actually concern me. Without seeing the actually break (photo
perhaps?) I'm led to believe that it is a glue joint that previously failed.
That could mean that new glue might not hold since you might not be
gluing wood to wood,you'd actually be gluing old glue to old glue.

It's not an old glue joint. The wood fibers are jagged on each side but
I am able to line up the leg perfectly, push it towards the table and
the tension of the fibers hold it in place and very little of the broken
seam can be seen. If it were my table, I'd just glue it back on and be
good with it, but I'm charging someone to fix it and I don't want to redo

If that is the case, then I'd be even more inclined to add some mechanical
support such as a dowel or threaded rod. At a minimum, perhaps some keys
cut into both surfaces and then thickened epoxy that can grab onto those
keys.

It seems like nothing has changed from your previous thread, therefore
all the original suggestions still stand.

You *may* have enough nooks and crannies for a solid fix with just
glue/epoxy, but if you never want to go back, then any of the mechanical
supports that were suggested would ensure a permanent fix.

If it were me, and even if it were my table, I'd add the extra support.