Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Pump house wiring

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 10:55:18 -0700, KenW
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 09:05:47 -0800, wrote:

Since my post asking about well pump house wiring I went to several
neighbor's places to look at their pump house wiring. They ALL have
the lights connected to 1/2 of the 240 supply to the pump. NONE have
breakers for the light(s). My feeling is that when the wells were
first drilled and the pump lowered that was as far as the well driller
went. Building the pump house and wiring it up were left to the
homeowner. Just as in my case. I ran the power to my pump. When the
electrical inspection was done the inspector did not look at the pump
wiring. Didn't even ask about it. I'm putting a sub panel in my pump
house.
Eric

That breaker protects BOTH sides of the feed so the lights DO NOT need
their own breaker.

KenW

I don't understand this. The lights are on lighter gauge wire than the
pump, 14 gauge for lights and 10 gauge for the pump. Will the breaker
sized for the pump and its wiring also protect the lighter gauge
wiring? What am I missing? I know that the 240 volt breaker is two
ganged breakers and if one trips it also trips the other one. But the
pump is on 30 amp breakers and the lights should be on 15 amp, right?
Eric