Posted to sci.electronics.repair
three_jeeps three_jeeps is offline

Default USA wiring question

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 12:35:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hey All,
I have seen this done and I never questioned it but now that I was
about to do it I'm wondering.
In a well pump house there are always lights being run on 120
volts. The pump runs on 240 volts though. The breaker at the panel in
the house that supplies power to the pump protects the heavy gauge
wire running to the pump house. Inside the pump house is lighter gauge
wiring running to the light. This wiring is connected to one leg of
the 240 volt power and to the neutral.
Does the 120 volt circuit need its own breaker in the pump house? I
have never noticed one in any pump house I've been in, and I have been
in several seeing as where I live most of the people I know are on a
well. But I'm thinking code must require another breaker to protect
the lighter gauge wire.
Anyway, wiring in the pump house is on hold until I know the
correct way.
Thanks,
Eric

absolutely need a breaker on the 120vac leg. I am rusty on my NEC knowledge but, I would put a distribution panel in the pumphouse. I am assuming that the 240 feed from the house is split before the house distribution panel