Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default USA wiring question

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 13:32:45 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Does the 120 volt circuit need its own breaker in the pump house?

In a word, yes.
120 volt lighting typically is #14 AWG and requires a 15 amp breaker.
120 volt outlets should be #12 AWG and require a 20 amp breaker.
A simple sub-panel in the well house with a "quad" breaker would be
the simplest solution.
https://www.zoro.com/static/cms/product/full/Z1wBpzmcpEx_.JPG

I admitt that I do not have any idea about the code. However if it is
just a simple light maybe it is like in most homes. The wire going from
the actual light socket is often much lighter than the wire that is ran
to it and the breaker is sized for.

Main concern in most cases is that a true neutral wire and there is
ground wire, or are they cheating and using the ground wire for the
neutral ?

Well, I assumed they were using a real neutral. In my neighbor's well
house there is a real neutral. I know this because I have had to do
work on his pumps.
Eric