Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Terrell Michael Terrell is offline

Default USA wiring question

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 1:32:54 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I admit that I do not have any idea about the code. However if it is
just a simple light maybe it is like in most homes. The wire going from
the actual light socket is often much lighter than the wire that is ran
to it and the breaker is sized for.

Main concern in most cases is that a true neutral wire and there is
ground wire, or are they cheating and using the ground wire for the
neutral ?

I have run into wells that ran the light from one side of the 240VAC, to the well casing. There was no neutral or ground wire run to the building. These were all built in the '64 and '65 time frame by the same well driller, and before there was a local building code for pump houses.

My well pump has 240 for the pump, a 120V circuit for lights and another for a small heater. These are in a nearby laundry building, since there is no door on the pump cover. There is also a digital wattmeter for the pump, to see if it is running properly.